Thursday, January 20, 2011

Two years of Marriage


Douglas and I have been married for 2 years now. I've started my career in Dentistry also started my own professional photography business, Candice Bowen Photography. www.candidsbycandice.com. Douglas has his own trucking business Southeastern Produce . We've began our journey into marriage. Wow... what you learn. I've had 2 years to learn just as much about my husband as I have about myself.

I'd have to say that we've learned mostly about my cooking skills, or should I say, the lack there of. So far, Douglas has almost broken teeth on my cinnamon rolls. He poured SALT into his tea as opposed to SUGAR because I put salt in one of the canisters. And I had the bright idea to have a humming bird feeder this spring, which required mixing Nectar of which I mixed in a gallon picture....which also simulates cherry COOL AID. At that point Douglas had figured out he might want to enter the fridge with caution!!! So I'll say that he's figured me out.
With all that being said, that is the beauty of marriage. Learning and experiencing the good and not so GOOD. He's learned that no matter how much my rescue dog tears, digs, chews, eats, rips, ruins, or pees on I'll love him with my entire heart. He knows my spankings are weak and my heart is strong. But he's accepted that and that is why I love him so much.
Of course marriage isn't always a fairytale...so that's why after about day 100 we decided it might be a good idea to FIREPROOF our marriage. Which basically means putting God first and letting him guide us and praying that he make us the Husband and Wife that he wants us to be. Not what we think we are or should become. I'd have to say, that has saved us!! I now understand the common phrase, "our first year of marriage was the toughest". I agree....and we've made it to the two year mark. We've began to look at the picture as a whole and realize it would be false to say that a perfect marriage exists. But I'd have to say that we are two very blessed people who have the desire and willpower to make it last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment